Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Back to School ...

I Heart Faces is having a 'back-to-school' theme week.  My kids are lucky to be in Michigan ... they don't  head back until after Labor Day.  While I love summer break, I also love getting back into a bit of a routine.  And this time of year doesn't just mean back-to-school ... it means football {NOTRE DAME FOOTBALL ;} fall soccer, pots of chili, hoodies ... and all of the other things I love about fall!
And it's not just back-to-school either ... this year is big - I have a 6th grader :(  Yes, I know it's supposed to be exciting, and it is ... but a 6th grader, just the sound of it freaks me out a bit :)  I had my first kiss in 6th grade... the thought of a boy's lips on my daughter is a little disturbing. Knowing that she is growing up gets more and more scary with each passing year ... my 'baby' is at the point of needing a bra - lol - I know it sounds silly, but I'm the mom ... and I'm entitled to freak a little about this :)
My son is a big 1st grader this year :(  Again, I know it's supposed to be exciting, and it is ... but it also means school all day and that makes me sad as well! lol  It just adds more worries to my plate ... what's he doing, is he eating all his lunch, is he listening, is he playing nice at recess???  Legitimate questions to think about :)
Bittersweet to have both children in school all day. This is it, they are growing ... and there's no stopping them. My hopes and dreams are that they will hope and dream big, and make the right decisions along the way to reach everything I know their little determined minds can achieve.
Every year I make them hold up what grade they are in and take a picture while waiting for the bus ... they may think it's silly now, but think of the laughs will have when we look at them 20 years down the road :)
You can head over to I Heart Faces and see some great captures from other proud moms {and dads!} by clicking here.  

4 comments:

Rebekah Tosh Photography said...

Great photo! You're kids are beautiful!

Jen Price said...

I can't imagine starting school after Labor Day. My kids started on the 22nd of August! Your kids are so cute! I love the idea of holding up the number of fingers corresponding to their grade.

Leilani said...

Lovely shot!

Traci Michele said...

adore this!

I'd love to have you join me in my new (very simple and fun) photo blog hop! It's a great way to show off your photos, capture beauty and meet new bloggy friends!

http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2011/09/first-capturing-beauty-blog-hop-link-up.html

Love, Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations